07 June 2007

UC Fashion

Generally, I dress for comfort (a true graduate student) and have found that some details of my style of dress have changed over the past two years as a direct result of my UC. And no mom, I do not mean how my cloths are loose due to weight loss ;-). For instance, I rarely wear a belt. Prior to experiencing UC symptoms I often wore a belt because I believed it looked nice and prevented my shirt from coming un-tucked in addition to its purpose of keeping my pants up.

When I was in the height of my symptoms I stopped wearing a belt, well, because it was keeping my pants up. I had many problems with urgency and a belt was just one more thing that got in the way and slowed me down in the rush to the toilet. Besides, at that time I had no control over my UC and rarely left the house and did not care much about my appearance.

As my symptoms improved, I refrained from bringing the belt back into my daily attire; a little because of the fear of an urgent need to use the restroom, but also because while sitting the belt was uncomfortable. Belts have a tendency to push on the lower abdomen when in the sitting position and this, being the location of most of my pain and discomfort, only added more discomfort.

Despite being nearly symptom free, the only time I wear a belt is when, in a fashion sense, it is truly needed. This has become my fashion and is a direct carry-over from my UC conditions. One belt that I never stopped wearing, however, is my number belt for triathlon races.


No comments: