22 June 2007

New England Triathlon


On June 10th I had my first triathlon of the season; and my only triathlon before the National Championships. It was the New England Triathlon in Worcester, MA and consisted of a 0.5 mile swim, 12.8 mile bike and 3.2 mile run. I was feeling pretty sick (sore throat and headache) that morning and did not really feel like doing a warm-up. So instead I just took my time setting up my transition space and sat in the shade until the race started. This also gave me the opportunity to speak with the most inspirational, and well-known, amateur triathletes: Dick and Rick Hoyt. If you do not know their story visit their website [link] and you will be inspired, even if you are not an athlete.

The swim was in a calm lake with warm water, but I wore my wetsuit so that I could practice the transition into the bike after the swim. I just stayed relaxed for the swim and did not try to race and that strategy worked well. I came out of the water feeling good and ready to get on the bike. I found out later that I was the fourth one out of the water and it was my best swim performance ever!

The bike went very well also, well, except for the first mile or so. As I was cycling away from the transition area I began to put my shoes on and mistakenly pulled the Velcro strap out of its loop. Try threading a needle while moving 20 mph! I was able to get it within the first mile but did get passed by three other cyclists. After that, the bike portion was smooth and I was able to hold a strong position.

The run is always my favorite because, given my running background, I am faster than most of the other athletes and can reel in each one who was faster on the bike. I was fourth to cross the finish line and the third athlete in my age group. I was very pleased with this race and credit my success mostly to staying relaxed. Hopefully I can control my nerves at the National Championships and stay as relaxed.

No comments: