04 June 2007

Surprise (1-day) flare

It has been more than 3 months since I have experienced my last flare-up of UC. From my experience with UC I have found that flares tend to arise suddenly and then take many days or weeks for the symptoms of intense abdominal pain, bleeding and frequent-uncontrollable bowel movements to gradually subside. This trend has made me realize the importance of discipline in handling UC. I want to have control of my UC and as a result I maintain a disciplined diet, take my medication as prescribed and make efforts to reduce stress.

Despite being able to control this most common type of flare, I have experience a different type of flare that I have yet to understand. I call it the surprise flare as I can never really understand what caused the flare. These flares seem to occaisionally come despite having a careful diet and sticking to my medication. They also seem to only last a single day or even just a few hours, but isolated by weeks or more from any other symptoms. This is an aspect of frustration I have with UC; it can be unpredictable. Even though I have been able to control and prevent the most problematic symptoms of UC, it seems that I get these surprise flares as an occaisional reminder that I have UC.

Although I have been flare-free for many months, I know that I must stay disciplined with my diet and medication to prevent symptoms. Perhaps this long-term discipline is what has kept the surprise flares away over the past months.


No comments: