08 January 2008

Bad Run

Well, they cannot all be good. The weather has warmed up a little in New England so I went for a 10-mile road run on Sunday. It was the first time in nearly a month that I was able to do a workout outdoors so I hit the road enthusiastically; perhaps too enthusiastically. By the time I reached the four-mile mark I began to fall behind pace and start to have some minor cramps, foot sores and chafing. I figured that it was not too bad and I continued on to mile five on the out-and-back route.

This proved to be a big mistake. At the five-mile turn-around I was in considerable pain, but I still had 5 miles to get back home. The last three miles were a gruesome run/walk journey home. Once home, my body wanted to collapse from exhaustion, but the various pains were too considerable to allow any comfort or rest.

I made it thru Sunday well (with the help of wild-card weekend) and decided to take Monday off from physical punishment. I did a five-mile run today to get back into my training, however, and felt much better. I was able to stay ahead of pace for the entire run which was on a much more hilly route!

Sunday was mentally tough to get thru. I began to wonder about my ability to run a half-marathon in 3 weeks. As with most adverse events in life, once I got thru the valley I was able to pick back up and continue with my training for the Miami Half-Marathon at the end of the month.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Unknown said...

Hi Josh,

Don't know if you remember me but we meet in DC for the "Celebrating UC Success" progam. Had a great time and it was great to meet you. I think you kind of left me awe-struck with how much you have accomplished in life while having to deal with Ulcerative Colitis.

Looking forward to more blog updates and if you ever have a race in Chicago you should let us know and sorry about that run. I'm sure you'll do well next time.

Take care,
Keith A. Means